Monday, December 18, 2006

Book recommandation: The Feminist Gospel by Mary Kassian

I have just finished reading The Feminist Gospel: The Movement to Unite Feminism with the Church by Mary A. Kassian, after finishing reading Warren Smith's Reinventing Jesus Christ: The New Gospel, which I had reviewed ealier. This book by Mary Kassian focuses on the evolution of contemporary Feminism and then evaluate it according to Scripture.

As I do not know much of the complex socialogical issues revolving around Feminism, I would therefore refrain from reviewing the entire book, only looking at some of the various issues which is within my capacity to review. Anyway, this book is found online here (which is where I found the book; I downloaded and printed it). Since it is being promoted by the Council of Biblical Manhood and Womanhood (CBMW), I would assume that the research is properly done. Definitely, the book itself is very well researched with the author quoting various feminists to show the evolution and the direction of growth of Feminism. What I mean when I say that I assumed that the book is properly researched is whether the sources the author quotes to prop up her thesis are representative of Feminism as a movement. Since CBMW promotes Kassian's book, I would assume that it is.

As it stands, this book is well researched. As it covers the evolution of feminism and its impact on the Church, and the biblical response to Feminism, this book is highly recommanded for believers who want to find out more about Feminism but don't exactly have the time to read up mountains of material to do such a thing. Also, though this point is not stressed so much in the book, the idea of women pastors, elders etc is refuted in this book since they came about through the influence of Feminism.

For readers who may want a more updated bok (this book was published in 1992), you may be interested in getting the updated and revised book The Feminist Mistake: The Radical Impact of Feminism on Church and Culture, which is published in 2005 and can be found here.

In the next couple of posts, I would be reviewing and commenting on various sections in this book, which show the utter unbiblical and even nonsensical theory that is Feminism (be it secular, religious or biblical).

No comments: